Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A New Proof for My Resume

Well, since the last notification of my employment situation things have not changed much. I did manage to snag an interview at a hardware store, but disappointingly did not get the job, and restaurants are still indicating that they want only people with previous experience. At the very least, I've stopped being harassed by those multitudes of insurance companies, though I plan on increasing my presence on job websites and so may open myself up again to such harassment.

While I still have hope for the future of America, my personal situation leaves me a bit discontent. I have long-term optimism, but definite short-term pessimism: I believe economically, especially for Michigan, we have yet to hit the bottom of the hill. To avoid at present a lengthy analysis to why I believe this, I'll just say that given a certain set of ideas a man is going to act a certain way. Since our politicians have yet to reexamine their ideas, they're simply going to apply the bad ideas that got America (especially Michigan) into this economic mess to begin with, which will but exacerbate the problems. The worst is yet to come.

But I digress. There's little to do in that area except be an activist for positive long-term change and live the best I can in the meanwhile. If my disappointment should surface, I'll just try to get myself lost in goal pursuits or the enjoyment of a value, or to sleep it off.

Anyhow, the main purpose of this post is to present a possible new way of establishing credibility for my resume. After having reached a compromise with the person I live with, I am virtually free financially to be able to focus my funds on other necessities and to invest in certain things to increase my employability.

Keeping in mind how I'm focusing on restaurants, I thought it might be a good idea to construct a professional food portfolio. I realized that while studying and practicing would allow me to add new skills to my resume, it probably wouldn't impress restaurateurs very much given that it would still need to be concretely proved to them. So what I thought I could do is go out and purchase a cheap digital camera, use it to photograph the various dishes I prepare, upload them to my computer, arrange them into a recipe, print them out, and then organize them in a three-ring binder. This portfolio would, of course, only be available upon the employer's request, but I think it would do well to enhance my credibility and worthiness since it would show I can put my money where my mouth is.

So now I consider myself in the market for a camera, and would appreciate some input. What considerations do I need to take into account? What do I need to know?

What I desire is a simple indoor camera that can take high-resolution pictures, and for it to be able to hook up to my computer via the USB port so I can upload pictures. In all honesty it need not hold more than ten or so photographs at one time, since I plan on uploading the pictures approximately right after they're taken (that is, after I have eaten what I photographed). Battery life is not much of a concern for me either.

I know there are many camera junkies out there, so got some suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Etiquette

1.) Do not use vulgar swear words that denote sexual activities or bodily excretions.

2.) Employ common sense manners when addressing the author or other commenters.

Additionally, you're welcome to present contrary and challenging positions within these guidelines, but please do not assume that my lack of response, even if I commented before, is evidence of my endorsement of your position.