Monday, April 11, 2011

Love Letter to Japan

Music posts are becoming less rare here, aren't they? It's not that I've run out of things to talk about; I actually am finding these interesting to post.

I love female vocalists, though admit to feeling slightly embarassed of the femininely romantic theme of this piece. I've come to really like The Bird and the Bee, as many of their songs involve the worship of one's significant other, though through the female perspective. This particular song is really fresh and bubbly, very easy to get in one's head. The only thing I don't like is the video.



The dominant question on my mind is exactly what part of the culture of Japan this song references. The rhythm reminds me strongly of some old Japanese tune, perhaps ancient, and I can't think of what it is. Do any of my readers know?

Anyhow, even as I have done well to nurture my tastes in music, I still find that I'm not all that attached to listening to a wide variety. Could it be that individuals are usually more receptive to certain arts above others, so that while I appreciate music there are other art forms I'd rather dedicate myself to? My subsuming habit in music listening is to find a few pieces I like and listen to them endlessly; I've been known to listen to a single song for hours on end and to sustain the practice for over a year. Yes, weird.

Whatever the case, I am beginning to value the tones of specific bands. My favorites at the moment are The Bird and the Bee, Metric, and Thievery Corporation. (That last one sounds like it has bad philosophical elements, but I've noticed none in its music nor heard of the band's explicit views, so it seems like only a pointed title at present.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Etiquette

1.) Do not use vulgar swear words that denote sexual activities or bodily excretions.

2.) Employ common sense manners when addressing the author or other commenters.

Additionally, you're welcome to present contrary and challenging positions within these guidelines, but please do not assume that my lack of response, even if I commented before, is evidence of my endorsement of your position.