Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chocolate Shipping Idea: Frozen Blocks

One of the things I've heard on one of my chocolate reviews is that it isn't a good idea to order chocolate online during summer, since, after all, heat melts it. I did in fact order my bulk Endangered Species chocolate near the beginning of the summer and thankfully saved it from the porch before anything happened to it. It was insulated enough that it hadn't melted at all during its voyage, so it arrived in mint condition (natch), albeit warm.

This prompts a question for me: Why can't chocolate stores alter their shipping policies during the summer? I know frozen blocks can be shipped with items that are temperature sensitive; my grandmother purchased a cheesecake one winter and it arrived with such a block sitting right beneath it. (And kept it for future use.) I know it would raise shipping and handling costs somewhat, but why not at least offer such a feature as an option for those that insist on internet ordering? In my own context I live in a particularly chocolate deficient business district, a district which seems to be slowly eliminating its options. For instance, I went to a Kroger today in order to purchase an Endangered Species bar with blueberries only to find it had been taken off the shelf, among several others. The internet is a good way for me to have access to variety, as well as save money since I live in a countryish area.

So what's up chocolate companies? Why can't we have these frozen blocks? I'd be willing to pay for it.

3 comments:

  1. It wouldn't even cost that much. The smallest size Blue Ice knockoffs go for about fifty cents on sale, and they add at most a pound to the shipping weight. I remember getting one with a Valentine's present a few years back; I think it might have been from Godiva. There was a high end chocolatier a few doors down from one of my old jobs who used to do it, too. Maybe there's some environmental law or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the topic of chocolate, great recommendation awhile back about Endangered Species Mint. I ordered a few bars, and they were perfectly refreshing, filling, rich, and with just enough bitterness, without the too-decaying feel and stomach ache-inducing aspects of milk chocolate.

    Mine arrived with the ice/water packs completely turned to water, and the chocolate in good shape and only ever so slightly soft from the heat--a few minutes in the refrigerator fixed them.

    I'm lucky enough to have a Wegmans grocery store near me with excellent $2.00 bars of 72% cacao dark chocolate.

    The frozen blocks, or some other ice contraption to keep the bars cool seems like such an obvious idea that the only logical reason I can think the company does not do it is the massive amount of burdensome red tape involved in running a business. Not even specific food or chocolate regulations, but just regulations as such, overloading and distracting the mind.

    I can't even contemplate how businesses today accomplish anything with OSHA, IRS, FDA, EPA, etc. watching over their shoulder.

    I'm reminded of John Lewis' post "The Little Dictators" on The Objective Standard blog, as to the destructive, mind-crippling nature of government regulators on businesses (and on our personal lives).

    http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/blog/index.php/2006/05/the-little-dictators/

    Even the smallest, simplest, and obvious ideas become difficult to implement when you have to focus on things like a cumbersome, superficial labeling process on your food product per the FDA's decrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Chocolate deficient business district," *shutter*

    We are shipping out a hefty order for Kroger today and it includes plenty of Dark Chocolate with Blueberry Bars. Speak with someone in the Customer Service Dept at your local Kroger. Consumers have power to pull in specific products...demand your chocolate! :)

    Regarding the ice packs, we use reuseable, non-toxic gel ice packs (and as Jason mentions, that are approved by the FDA/USDA). These packs weigh less than ice blocks and do a good job at keeping our orders cool during the (max) 4-day delivery time.

    If you are worried about your purchase during the summer, just let us know in the Notes section of your order. We'll gladly stick in an extra ice pack or two to soothe your worries.

    -Monica Erskine
    Chocolate Goddess
    Endangered Species Chocolate

    ReplyDelete

Comment Etiquette

1.) Do not use vulgar swear words that denote sexual activities or bodily excretions.

2.) Employ common sense manners when addressing the author or other commenters.

Additionally, you're welcome to present contrary and challenging positions within these guidelines, but please do not assume that my lack of response, even if I commented before, is evidence of my endorsement of your position.