Saturday, August 7, 2010

Major Setback to Project

I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. My assumptions were far too benevolent, and just now, several months later, I have come to a realization that sets my project back significantly. I don't know whether or not I can get it done before the year is over as originally planned. Last week I worked a significantly longer shift than usual and was fully expecting it to be reflected in my paycheck, but to my extreme disappointment it was way smaller than anticipated. Upon examining the taxes I found that the government ate up over eight of my working hours. Foolishly enough I had constructed my project around the assumption that I would have access to my full income; instead a significant portion is simply being stolen from me by the government for persons and uses I'll never know. Last night ended up with an upset stomach -- having to deal with the circumstance for that much longer! -- but I feel better after a night's rest.

This project certainly will not be defeated, but it's upsetting that one of my aims -- getting it done ASAP -- can't really be achieved now. Really this project isn't about a set of actions that take a long time to perform; rather, it's about being adequately prepared to perform this one action of which the project is in essence all about. All these months of work is really building up to this one essential day in which I can complete my project in nearly one fell swoop. Annoying to have to engage in so much preparation for so little action, but it's necessary.

I'll overcome this, but it has its challenges. The only solution I can think of is to intensify my job hunt and find more work. Given my central purpose in life of becoming a culinary entrepreneur I really can't increase my income by any other means at present. There's self-employment for sure, but that would require a certain amount of competence I don't have yet, and again there's the notion of wanting to get this project done as soon as possible. I don't think I would do very well trying to establish a business in my current situation, what with the intellectual barriers.

I think, then, the best I can do is strive to get more work and find more ways to save money. The prospect of working a lot or even all the time doesn't bother me since it would be advancing my goals and getting me out of a bad place. In fact, I find that the less I work the worse I do, as I like to establish some inertia and maintain it; working too little gives me the impression that the job is a side-pursuit. As long as I have a consistent period for sleep and at least one good meal I'm golden. Time to write cover letters again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Etiquette

1.) Do not use vulgar swear words that denote sexual activities or bodily excretions.

2.) Employ common sense manners when addressing the author or other commenters.

Additionally, you're welcome to present contrary and challenging positions within these guidelines, but please do not assume that my lack of response, even if I commented before, is evidence of my endorsement of your position.