Monday, November 8, 2010

Green & Black's Differing Product Lines?

For some reason Green and Black's chocolate has been on my mind this past weekend, so I thought to take it upon myself to investigate their website to see if I've missed anything I might like to try. I may not be shopping right now -- I have a significant wave of chocolates scheduled to be shipped to me -- but I'm always open to looking for things to add to my wish list. While looking around I found something perplexing.

Apparently G&B's offers significantly different product lines depending on what country they're selling in. Some varieties are only available in one country and not another, and sometimes the same variety is produced differently across borders. To cite some examples, the milk butterscotch variety isn't available in the US and the dark espresso variety has a cocoa content of 67% for the US and 70% for the UK. Why such differences?

Most importantly, however, I have found that their dark mint variety is 70% cocoa in the UK! I love mint! I feel gipped by not having access to this particular version, as I think it has the potential to become one of my favorites. I have had the 60% version they offer here in the US, but while I think the mint intensity is perfect the low cocoa content makes it too sweet for my taste. Just a little bit less sweet and I'd find it the best chocolate in the world.

I wonder why G&B's has decided to sell their products in such a fashion. Have they conducted studies which has given them evidence as to which varieties a particular audience will favor most? Connoisseur that I am, I wish they would at least establish some sort of international online store which would allow for costumers to purchase the varieties they have the least access to; that mint bar is a cruel deprivation. 

It makes me wonder whether other chocolate companies are holding out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Etiquette

1.) Do not use vulgar swear words that denote sexual activities or bodily excretions.

2.) Employ common sense manners when addressing the author or other commenters.

Additionally, you're welcome to present contrary and challenging positions within these guidelines, but please do not assume that my lack of response, even if I commented before, is evidence of my endorsement of your position.