Thursday, November 11, 2010

Another Change of Mind on Reviews

I'm sorry to be so fussy, but I have changed my mind again in regards to how I'll conduct my chocolate reviews. A little while ago I stated that I would start conducting the reviews by establishing a hierarchy based on how one would confront a chocolate bar, dealing with the packaging aesthetics first, the bar style second, and the mouthfeel and flavor profile last. I thought this would be logical since this is the natural order of the eating experience, but now I'm having second thoughts.

As I've tried to construct my reviews I found that this makes for very awkward writing. In my writing the flavor profile and mouthfeel demands to be heard first, so trying to fight that natural inclination to structure my pieces accordingly has been making for reviews I'm less than satisfied with. The form of my connoisseurship has made it so that I give serious consideration to packaging and bar aesthetics since I firmly believe they contribute to the whole of the eating experience, but I must understand it's probably not as serious a concern with my other readers and so should be saved for later in the article and be given less space. The makeup of the flavor profile and mouthfeel are absolutely the most important and essential attributes.

So from now on I'm going to take a more natural approach to writing my reviews and allow them to be constructed in a way that allows for the most dominant qualities of a bar to be mentioned first and be given the most space; lesser elements will come later and be given briefer mentions. You read my reviews to find good confectionery, not to admire pretty wrappers!

This should lead to more valuable reviews in the future, and I hope it will be more helpful to influencing your purchasing decisions, giving just attention to those treats that truly deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Etiquette

1.) Do not use vulgar swear words that denote sexual activities or bodily excretions.

2.) Employ common sense manners when addressing the author or other commenters.

Additionally, you're welcome to present contrary and challenging positions within these guidelines, but please do not assume that my lack of response, even if I commented before, is evidence of my endorsement of your position.