Monday, February 14, 2011

Ice Cream Review: Haagen Dazs Chocolate Chocolate Chip

Okay, so I officially don't like chocolate ice cream, which I know may sound odd coming from a dark chocolate connoisseur. I mistakenly picked up Haagen Dazs chocolate chocolate chip ice cream thinking it had a vanilla base, but I guess my mind didn't process the repetition of "chocolate" and so I didn't notice it. It surprised me to discover that the base was chocolate, but chocolate lover that I am I decided to give it a shot.

Unfortunately, it seems as if though my high-up palate (up to 100% cacao) has rendered me desensitized to lighter varieties below 70-60%, and this is probably way below that. It tasted mildly of bland cocoa with no other complexities to consider, and the chips seem to contribute nothing other than matter-like plain texture attributes.The mouthfeel is just barely acceptable with an okay melt, but it doesn't really get to that coat-your-mouth point. The chips add no crunch, but rather a medium sort of resistance to chewing. (Yes, I oddly prefer to chew my ice cream.) If you like the dark stuff as much as I do, then this will be a disappointment.

I think from now on it might be best if I resign myself to ice creams where chocolate is merely a minor player rather than the major star. By training my palate to be so responsive to heavy cocoa/cacao percentages, I tend to experience the light varieties as actually being less chocolately. Those who have no dark palate, of course, may experience those varieties with great intensity since that's what they're adjusted to. For me, I much prefer strawberry and good vanilla ice cream, chocolate on the side.

Though I think I might give the vanilla chocolate chip a try if I should come across it, as the Five vanilla bean (not reviewed yet) was astounding, the best vanilla ice cream I've ever had. However, I might open myself up to some chocolate varieties if I ever find Green & Black's varieties. I read on a dated article that they're available in the U.S., but the products are only listed on the foreign pages. I'll keep my eyes open regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Etiquette

1.) Do not use vulgar swear words that denote sexual activities or bodily excretions.

2.) Employ common sense manners when addressing the author or other commenters.

Additionally, you're welcome to present contrary and challenging positions within these guidelines, but please do not assume that my lack of response, even if I commented before, is evidence of my endorsement of your position.